Forgot password? Sign Up!

Historical Sites

Altgeld Hall
Originally the Science Building, Altgeld Hall is the oldest building on campus. It was designed in the Gothic Revival style with yellow brick and gray rock faced limestone. The pointed arches and trefoil patterns are typical of the gothic revival. The octagonal four-story tower and crenellated turrets and parapet were popular for educational buildings of the period. The building was constructed in 1898 and resembles an English castle.
1000 S. Normal Avenue
Southern Illinois University

Fountain Bluff Indian
Carvings Prehistoric dwellers left their mark on the rock walls of Fountain Bluff at the north end of Big Hill about a mile southwest of Gorham. The mysterious carvings depict wolves, birds, deer, human forms, crosses, circles and other geometric figures. To reach the rock carving site, turn east off Illinois Route 3 onto the Gorham Road. Drive 1.2 miles to Gorham and Second Street and turn left. Continue two blocks to Lake Street, turn east and proceed approximately one mile on the gravel road to the petroglyphs, where roadside parking is available. (This gravel road is not perfect. Drive with caution.)

General John A. Logan Statue
The marble and bronze statue depicts the Civil War hero and national figure of the 19th Century on horseback. It was erected by the State of Illinois in 1928.
2125 Spruce St.

Giant City State Lodge
Built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930's, the Lodge is in perfect keeping with the spirit of the Giant City State Park. Multi-hued sandstone and white oak timber were two of the native building materials used. Once inside the spacious Lodge, one can see how its rustic beauty creates an atmosphere found nowhere else in Southern Illinois.
460 Giant City Lodge Road

Grange Hall
This 960 square foot brick meeting hall, four miles north of Murphysboro on Illinois 127-13 was the successor of the first Grange Hall, which burned in 1909. The existing building structure was erected in 1912.

Robert W. Hamilton House
One of the oldest houses in Jackson County, the Hamilton House was built in 1867. This example of Gothic architectural style is the new home of the Murphysboro Chamber of Commerce.
203 S. 13th Street

Jackson County Historical Centre
The location of hundreds of files available for genealogy research including Jackson County's records dating to the 1800's.
1616 Edith Street

Makanda Boardwalk
This block of storefronts, dating from the 1890's, has been saved and restored and currently provides shop space for local artists and craftspeople. The original village of Makanda, first named North Pass, began prospering in 1854 when the Illinois Central Railroad built a station, two water tanks and a boarding house along Drury Creek, which still runs through the community. Makanda is the gateway to the Giant City State Park, a beautiful 3700-acre forestland.

Mobile and Ohio Railroad Depot
The structure was built in the 1880's and was used as a train depot for almost 90 years. It is now the home of a restaurant.
1701 Walnut Street

The Old Illinois Central Railroad Passenger Depot
The All Aboard Station Carbondale exhibit features train memorabilia from Illinois Central Railroad, including lanterns, telegraphs, 1740 headlight and photographs. Outside a 1950's Diesel engine and a little red caboose allow visitors to climb aboard.
111 S. Illinois Avenue

Shryock Auditorium
This historic and acoustically superb facility boasts performing arts, popular entertai n ment and lectures. Former President William Howard Taft gave the first public address when the building was dedicated on April 18, 1918. The building is dedicated to Henry William Shryock, president of SIUC from 1913 to 1935.
1050 S. Normal Avenue 
Southern Illinois University

Wheeler Hall
This Romanesque-style red brick and rock sandstone building was the university library. The architecture, with its round, arched windows, is reminiscent of the Richardson Romanesque style.
975 S. Normal Avenue
Southern Illinois University

West Walnut Street Historic District
This series of 54 private residences was granted designation as a registered National Historic District in 1975. Some homes date to the early 1850's, but most were built in the early 20th century. (Not open to the public.)

Woodlawn Cemetery
The location of the first organized Memorial Day service in Illinois, and perhaps the first in the Nation.
405 E. Main Street